View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Late to the game here, but last month I swapped out a LX gear set into my EX transmission. I ended up having to pull apart every bit of the gear trains in both transmissions to make it happen in order to get the final drive swap right. Having never disassembled the input and counter shafts had me worried I'd mess it up....and I did. But I caught my mistakes, took it apart again, and got it straight.

I now have a smooth running transmission with a 700-800 RPM drop at highway speeds. The best result is the lower RPM makes the engine drone non-existent. I must say the MPG gain is really negligible. Maybe .5-1 mpg boost but certainly not much more. I also swapped out the D17A2 with a JDM D17A that has turned out great. I think my car will easily get another 50-75,000 reliable miles.

The old engine had 250K, a head minor head gasket leak (used coolant), needed a timing belt change, and used 1 qt of oil every 1,000 miles. It needed to go. I spent $450 on the engine, $300 or so in timing belt, water pump, gasket kits, fluids & such. I sold the old engine for $100 so for $650 I get to keep driving my smooth, comfortable, 36 ish mpg car 04 Civic for another 3 to 4 years only paying for gas and minor maintenance.