View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 03:25 AM   #88 (permalink)
Galane
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Now about those Brake Springs, pad drag could be a problem, tell me more about these brake springs please.

Also at this time my van is drum disk.
They are springs that keep the pads moved *just* away from the disc so they're not causing any drag, like how properly adjusted brake shoes sit inside their drums.

You don't want the pads too far away from the discs because that can increase stopping distance and make the brake pedal go down farther.

Such springs likely work better with dual piston calipers than they do with any sort of single piston sliding calipers.

On a heavy, high drag vehicle like your van I wouldn't bother. The effect of eliminating the small drag from brake pads would be minimal, if it would even be measurable. Fresh pads on new rotors, or rotors turned smooth, will have the least drag before doing a spring mod.

Make sure the rear brakes are correctly adjusted, and if you install new ones see if there's a shop in your area that can arc them. That's grinding down the curve of the lining to precisely fit the curve of the drum. You get the performance of fully broken in shoes right away and they should last longer. A video on DIY shoe arcing.