View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #3032 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ng_predictions
Quote:
The ice age fallacy
A common argument used to dispute the significance of human caused climate change, which TIME Magazine calls the Ice Age Fallacy, is to allege that scientists showed concerns about global cooling which did not materialise, therefore there is no need to heed current scientific concerns about climate change.[57] In a 1998 article promoting the Oregon Petition, Fred Singer argued that expert concerns about global warming should be dismissed on the basis that what he called "the same hysterical fears" had supposedly been expressed earlier about global cooling.[58]

Illustrating this argument, for several years an image has been circulated of a Time magazine cover, supposedly dated 1977, showing a penguin above a cover story title "How to Survive the Coming Ice Age". In March 2013, The Mail on Sunday published an article by David Rose, showing this same cover image, to support his claim that there was as much concern in the 1970s about a "looming 'ice age'" as there was now about global warming.[59][60] After researching the authenticity of the magazine cover image, in July 2013, Bryan Walsh, a senior editor at Time, confirmed that the image was a hoax, modified from a 2007 cover story image for "The Global Warming Survival Guide".[57]
But what's true is that it was the sentiment of the day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

Quote:
3 Concern in the 1920s and 1930s
4 Concern in the 1940s and 1950s
5 Concern in the 1960s and 1970s
6 Late 20th Century cooling predictions
edit:
redpoint5 — A decade ago I saw a video where a politician was interviewing a computer IT guy. He said can you show me shaking hands with [oppositional politician]? The guy said —Sir, I can put your tongue in his ear.

The future is more like it is today than it ever was.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-28-2018 at 10:25 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-29-2018)