View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Do\did your professors use rubrics?

I am retaking classes trying to get into grad school so that I can make angry money. My agency pays SLPs $15 an hour more than SLPAs or you could go rogue and earn far more. The state pays almost $200 per evaluation and I know an occupational therapist that claimed she once did ten evaluations in one day.

How often do you earn $2,000 in a day? Well, she only did once.

Eastern New Mexico University seemed like the best school for me, based on the fact that they charge less than everyone else. I read good things about them, but when I am retaking classes from my second Bachelor's trying to get into grad school, I want to spend a minimum on my Etcetera degree.

When I attended Arizona State I took a class that involved watching twenty-five speech therapy sessions and answering eight generic questions--the same for every video. The questions were often irrelevant to the session and that was held against me. I am taking a lab through ENMU that is just the observations--supposedly our final grade will simply be the average score of our observation reports, the professor specifies which of three sets of questions to answer, and the ten questions seem far more relevant.

Excitingly, I scored a 1.833/5.0, and there is not any other feedback. I am going to look up exactly how the professor instructs us to contact him (while my other professors gave us a variety of methods) and ask him to specify what I got wrong and right. He did provide a rubric and my professor friend says the rubric is adequate.

Does a rubric do anything besides use sentences to explain that 1.833/5.0 is terrible?

For each video the professor gave us all relevant confidential information, which we needed to include in the report. If you get the first half right, you score 1.0. If you answer both halves right, you score 2.0.

So, supposedly I copied 91.67% of the information correctly?

If you then answer every question correctly you can earn a 3.0. Good correct answers yield a 4.0 and excellent correct answers give you a 5.0.
He provided a sample of a report that earned a 5.0 and it had entire sentences that were superfluous.

Does he not give you credit for the actual questions if you copy one piece of information incorrectly? It is Friday night and I have homework due Monday morning. Will he even answer before the next assignment is due?

There are only four assignments and if I somehow earn 5/5 on the rest I will only earn an 84% for the course, but without knowing what I allegedly did wrong, why would I expect to earn more than 1.833/5.0? If I then manage 5/5 on the remaining two assignments I will have a whole 68% for the course.

Even for digital assignments, my professors at Arizona State graded them and I could see what they marked wrong, etc.

Rubrics alone seem lazy and useless.