View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #113 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
I did a sketch for someone else in another thread and I was so appalled at the result I though to try again. So as promised in Permalink #105:

Bad lighting and I stopped drawing when it started getting worse. I didn't call them out in the diagram but the features are:
  • A slant chop in the fiberglass topper. The pie cut is inside the angle on top and then a curve down to the drip rail. Gap filled with a quarter-round.
  • A turnpike-cruiser type fender skirt that covers the sanitary drain and extends to the extreme rear.
  • A rear deflector, as you asked about at Permalink #40. See below.
  • The clear plastic rounded front corner. The inner half forms a bellmouth to the grill opening and the outer half needs more thought to form an air curtain.
  • Swan-neck mirrors on a blister over the dirtiest part of the a-pillar, the top door hinge.

The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center via https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post271093
Quote:
Additional mods for Vans and SUVs::
A new spoiler design has been shown to reduce drag and lift significantly on bluff-backed vehicles such as minivans and SUVs. Simulations showed that aerodynamic drag on a mini-van moving at 67 mph were reduced by 5% when the new spoiler was attached. This rear spoiler acts like a diffuser when it is attached to the back of a vehicle, making the pressure on the back of the vehicle higher than without it. That's a good thing!

Full technical paper ($22)
A Rear Spoiler of a New Type that Reduces the Aerodynamic Forces on a Mini-Van
I don't know about this but it's got kach22i's attention and that's recommendation enough for me to consider it. Apply it across the rear top and down both sides to the fender skirts.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/191693...-1/s-l1000.jpg

This VW swan neck isn't forward-reaching, but there are others available for street rods.