View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Awesome! Reminds me of the excellent movie (haven't read the book) Thomas Crown Affair.

I never understood art prices. I can get a very good replica of any famous art piece, at a fraction of the price, and it will contain 99.9% of the beauty of the original.

I wonder if the science part of the mind is at odds with the artistic part, because I've always been drawn to science / utility, and took little interest in art.
There's a knack to it. Pay enough to make people think it's worth a lot, but not so much that you don't make a profit when you sell it on. As long as you flip it before the speculation bubble bursts.

99.9% of the price of art, or of collector cars, is in the provenance. The fact that they're rare, or original. The fact that if they're destroyed, they can't be replaced. No one is making any more original Ferrari 250GTOs. Van Gogh is no longer making new paintings.

As such, paying a million bucks for a Banksy PRINT, which can be replicated... while the artist is still alive... is faintly ridiculous.

Wouldn't be surprised if the auction itself was a set up.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
seifrob (10-07-2018)