View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #57 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Ethanol from sugar cane it's a lot more efficient to produce than ethanol from corn. Brazil produces a lot of ethanol this way.
I'm not so unfavorable to corn-based ethanol, since the distillation-grain out of the ethanol mills increases the weight gain of beef cattle fed with it. That could be a good way to keep ethanol prices more stable year-round. And even some residual molasses from the processing of soybeans into that texturized soy protein widely used as a meat replacement by vegans can be turned into ethanol.

Quote:
And new researches are focusisng to use even the dry portions of the plants to produce alcohol, since they study bacteries able to broke celulosis into sugar, and then sugar is fermented to became alcohol.
Cellulose ethanol might become a valuable asset, and it is already produced in Sweden at least since 1909 relying on residues from the timber and paper production there, but it was mostly used as a feedstock for the chemical industry.

Quote:
About hydrogen... I would say forget about use liquid hydrogen in tanks for cars, since the energy you spent to liquify hydrogen it's about 50%of the energy hydrogen can render on engines or in fuel cells.And hydrogen atoms it's so small it will leak day by day in the tanks, since it can break through the atoms from the tank.
I would say, forget hydrogen at all. Those solid-oxide fuel cells that can operate with hydrocarbons instead of pure hydrogen make a lot more sense.

Quote:
I believe in green revolution, but not as a one single savior source or single technology, [B]but in a combination of diferent approuchs combined. Solar, eolic, bio fuels, new batteries, lightweight cars.
I openly support biodiesel and some eventual usage of pure vegetable oils as alternate fuels, but I consider both ethanol and biomethane to also retain a foothold in the middle-to-long term.