View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

All depemds on where you live.

Where I live used to be farms from horizon to horizon, with the rail line cutting through town and a highway that was deadly at night because the trucks wouldn't bother slowing down for this one horse town.

Used to be a joy to drive. Get out on the two-lane, peg the pedal and you could be pretty far away in a pretty short time.

Nowadays, our old town is officially a city. With traffic, traffic lights and more traffic. It takes me an hour and a half to take my kid to school. And she only studies six miles away. I have to get her up before the crack of dawn and out to school an hour and a half before the bell rings just to avoid the hassle (and without traffic, that six miles back and forth still takes me three quarters of an hour).

My occasional work is in a city twenty miles north. And that's a good two to three hour commute at rush hour. Sure, I can save some time by driving, but taking public transport means I can actually sleep part of the way instead of stewing in bumper to bumper traffic.