View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chiefdruid
EcoModding Lurker

The process is the same as making 'shine'. Mix up the mash (sugar, corn, beets, switchgrass, etc) and let it ferment in the absence of oxygen. When fermantation has completed/ stopped, heat the mash to the boiling point of ethanol (about 173 degrees) in a reflux still. The ethanol will boil off (along with some water and impurities) and the steam will turn back into liquid ethanol in the condenser tube.
This is an over-simplified set of instructions. More research is required to make high purity ethanol. Making a still/ ethanol can be a dangerous proposition. Do this at your own risk!!!
If something goes horribly awry, don't blame me.

I agree with Bicycle Bob though. Butanol, from everything I've read does appear to be nearly a one to one replacement for gasoline. It is manufactured much the same way that ethanol is except instead of yeast, bacteria are used. From what I've read, most any biomass can be used as food stock.
Unfortunately though, there are downsides too.

The bacterias used can be dangerous. One team is experimenting with the bacteria that causes Tetanus..

The yield is generally low. I don't remember exact percentages, but it seems like it was considerably lower than the yields of the ethanol fermentation/ distillation process. Companies are experimenting with genetically modified bacteria to increase production yields.

The fermentation process produces Acetone, Ethanol and Butanol so these other products needs to be separated from the butanol using fractional distillation. The process used to separate gasoline and other products from crude oil.

I'm actually curious as to why we don't hear more about butanol in the mainstream media though.