View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Nedlom
EcoModding Lurker

Hi guys,

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I've not actually bought one yet - I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-Car-...item1a3cd506bc

Car is a UK model 2007 Ford fiesta (1.4 diesel) it doesn't have any kind of pre heater fitted or even as an option, or factory add on.

Free space in the engine bay is almost none existent and I want a 240v heater so I don't have to add the complexity of voltage converters etc.

Nobody here in the UK seems to use a coolant heater - the only local sources seem to be aimed at track cars, and cost hundreds of pounds.

As such I'm limited to Chinese heaters from ebay etc, with poorly translated explanations.

Stubby - I've seen some that come with a pair of T-pieces that make me think they would be added in parallel, but no explanation is given in the advert. I'd probably prefer the freeze plug type, but to get access to them I'd have to start removing the turbo, exhaust, subframe etc.

M.a.m. metro - thanks, I'll make sure I consider that. Btw, I'm more interested in getting the engine up to temp than having immediate cabin heat. It's just occoured to me that if I fit it to the cabin heater and the max temp of the heater is less than my thermostat opens, I'm still just going to have a cold engine right? Hmm...

Oil pan - that sounds interesting. How does it work? I've played with the idea of building my own using a heating element from an electric towel rail - work off 240v and are thermostat controlled, but feel like I'd end up spending the same on parts as just buying one.

Thanks for your help with my dumb questions guys, I've thought a fair bit about this, but have put it off for the past two winters through uncertainty.

Nedlom