View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Sure - it is a new and different experience, and I will learn a lot more as time goes on. I had a fair bit of adrenaline at first, because I have been waiting for this, and this alters one's perception. The PEBL is not a quiet experience - as you can hear in the videos (I will make longer ones, soon), the motor and drive chain growl a fair bit, and it only gets quieter when coasting or pedaling.

It has regen (on either front or rear brakes) and this is good, but won't likely help extend the range very much. It coasts fairly well, even at "stock" tire pressure of 30PSI. The tires have a fair bit of "bobbing" and it allows some wobble. The steering is tight, and a bit touchy. They made a change in this since my test ride back in July 2017.

The ride is less harsh than a bicycle, but significantly different as well. If you need to span a pothole, you have to "place" it under one of your feet or the other; since the rear wheel is centered. The rear has suspension, so you are spared the jolts up your spine, but the body shell amplifies the sounds, and there is a fair bit of motion generated when you hit a bump with either / both of the front wheels (which have no suspension).

My morning ride was cool temps and it was raining, so I got fogging on the inside of the windows - hence the paper towels you see in the picture. I used to wiper periodically - I didn't need it that often. It has a low and high speed, and it works quite well, considering the flexibility of the windshield. I partially opened the door windows, and this helped a lot.

I have the pedals just about as far forward as possible, and I have raised the back legs on the seat almost 2" to raise the seat back more vertically. When pedaling my knees come close to the dash opening, but there is no issue here. I had my cellphone cord plugged into one of the two charging ports, and the cord brushed my left knee; so I may add a small hook to lift it up some. I have a nice aluminum bracket to hold my cellphone just to the left of the center of the handlebar. This leaves clearance and access to the various switches.

I drove most of the time at the 1500w setting, and this affected some drivers behind me - I am moving faster than most bikes, and at 44" (not counting the addition !" on each side for the mirrors), a LOT of drivers just followed behind me for a while before they passed. Some just stayed behind. I will try using only the 750w mode, and see if that seems to change drivers' actions. New England roads tend to be narrow, and curvy, with various hazards like downed twigs and small branches, and lots of autumn leaves. The right front tire threw up an awful lot of wet leaves and needles - I think mud flaps, or possibly wheel strakes are in order. The very next PEBL they are building now, HAS mudflaps.

My drive home was easier, because the rain had stopped and the windows were clear. It was cloudy, and the sun was dropping, so I could see my headlights - they are 18w each, and they are VERY bright. When I go out after dark, I will take a picture.

The biggest challenge with the PEBL (for me at 6'-4") is getting in and out. Because the pedals are in a well, and the floor is fairly high, it is my second foot squeezing by the door jamb that is the challenge. I am using it with the removable pedal well, so you can't put your feet on the ground. I can get in and out of the BACK seat much more easily, because the front seat tilts forward. And I fit relatively well, with the back of my head hitting the roof, and having to straddle the front seat.

The front seat is easily moved forward and back, with a large cam lever clamp on the right front seat leg. I am able to move the seat forward and still pedal, but it is most comfortable with it as far back as it can go; which is pretty close to the rear seat. The seat is mesh, and it is quite comfortable.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-29-2018), samwichse (10-29-2018), sendler (10-30-2018)