View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
ZOMBIE THREAD ATTACK!!

Now I'm curious, did you do this just for Halloween?
No. I think I just have a bad habit of looking for a thread about something similar that happened to me and then posting to it without even checking the dates. I was on a forum once where if you made a new thread about something remotely close to another previous thread the moderators would very often lock the new thread and direct everyone to continue with the conversation on the old thread. So I guess that's where I got it from.

Still, I'm all confused about this octane stuff. I mean, I know how it works and all. But the car calls for 87. But I drive between 5,000 and 12,000ft. So that would seem to merit a lower octane. But how much lower? If I buy 81 will I be doing harm to the engine? According to what I could find here: https://www.sae.org/publications/tec...ontent/872160/ It says that you shouldn't use less than 0.2 additional octane numbers per 1,000ft. That would mean I would need 86 octane for 5,000ft. But then again the article is from 1987! Could things have changed since then?