View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
First, I'm not positive the fuel economy meter actually keeps a forever running average but it's a safe bet it does at least keep a few thousand miles average. That shouldn't really effect any of the points made as I bet every 5000 miles that truck drove were similar to any other 5000 mile stretch.

Second, it's not that I have given up on getting good economy I just have figured I don't drive enough to keep my Subaru around to keep miles off my truck. The added cost of insurance and plates was eating up any gas savings, so I sold the Subaru. Then guess what? Driving the Cummins sucks day to day so I need something different there as well, although I was getting about 17 mpg city short trips. Plus that never reaching 200 degrees had to be killing the Cummins. So I just sold it as well. Now I have the pig of all pigs, a 2500 Yukon XL. Well I guess it could be worse as I have the 6.0 not the 8.1. I haven't even ran a tank yet so I don't know the real hit, but I'm guessing it's around 11-13 mpg city. It's especially hard to guess as after the first fillup it puked an 1/8 of a tank onto the ground! At least it stopped there so the leak is somewhere high on the tank. Now I've been working on using up most of the 38 gallon tank so I can drop it and find the leak. 300 miles later and I'm down to 1/4 on the guage (of course it lost 1/8 that first night, thank God it was outside in the dirt not in the garage.) I'm still stoked about the Yukon. It is really the only 4x4 vehicle rated to haul 8 adults and tow a fair sized trailer, I have about a 2800 pound payload. It was only $3900 which I got $2500 for the Subie and $8500 for the Ram and save $500/year in extra insurance and taxes. Now at about 3000 miles per year I still save money going from 25mpg (best case Subie) down to 11 (worst case Yukon). I'm going to miss the towing power of the Cummins but I'm not in any hurry, the 6.0 gas should be just fine. I now also have a ton of money and room to build a camp kitchen/bed platform in back and have a rig that can get up nasty roads to the places I want to camp sometimes without the big trailer my wife likes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (10-31-2018), slowmover (11-01-2018)