View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I agree with you Slowmover except payload does matter of course. I know the 2800# I posted isn't exact but it's ballpark and ironically it's 1000# more than my Cummins was. So the Cummins had a better tow rating, but was really lacking on payload. Now I had airbags in the Ram but really that doesn't change the official rating, It was under 1800# that I could carry (although I have had more than 3000# of topsoil in there for a cross town run). The tow rating was great but put 800 pounds on the tongue, 5x250 pound people inside, and bam! I'm over payload with an empty bed. (Bam was actually the Ram's nickname so I just teared up a bit there.) Now put the same 800# on the Yukon tongue, put even 7x250# adults in it, and I still have 250# of room for even more gear inside. So while the Yukon has 8000 pounds less tow rating, realistically it has more capability in other areas, mainly payload. Plus it rides day to day like a dream in comparison to a tank 2004 2500 Ram and a 6 speed with aftermarket clutch that was about a 2 legger.
What I should do is put a Cummins 4bt in it, but LS Chevy small blocks are just too plentiful and inexpensive to mess with a good thing. I can get a brand new crate motor direct from GM, complete throttle body, sensors, injectors all the way to the oil pan, dropped on my driveway for $5200 with a 360hp 380 ft-lb on junk gas net rating which is about what I was looking to spend just a correct injector job on the Cummins. Diesels are great but their stuff is crazy expensive when it goes bad.