View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #63 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
I wondered about the center of gravity and how tippy it might be. As high as it sits, it looks like a good wind could tip it over too. Hopefully there is enough weight in it so that doesn't happen. I have to say that I have never heard such a noisy electric motor. Is that just from echoing inside the enclosure? Or, do you just have the sound on the phone turned way up?
JJ
I have not had issues with the wind, yet. And backing up is more problematic than going forward, since the two wheels are in the front.

The noise is mostly the reduction gears on the motor, and yes some of it is resonance of the body / chassis. The video is otherwise very quiet, and when I am riding in the PEBL, there are lots of other noises that keep me from paying much attention to the motor. Bumps on the front wheels make noise, and roads around here are pretty damn bumpy. That rail trail is brand new this year, and it is still very smooth and flat.

I had the phone in the handlebar bracket, and I do think some noise is getting into the video that way. My son owns a GoPro, and I hope to use that to make a longer / more varied video.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/