View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
My mom is currently looking at purchasing a new vehicle after our '04 Toyota Sienna got totaled by hitting a deer. She is considering purchasing an '07 Prius with 133K miles.

She reached out this morning to confirm with the seller that the battery change is in fact the hybrid battery. I have been looking at the "what to be looking for when buying a used Prius" thread to prepare a list for her and my dad to use when checking out the car (I am at college and unfortunately unable to be there to assist in person).

I was wondering if any of you experts had an opinion on the car (or the price! KBB says value is ~$6000, so we're hoping for negotiation if we pursue), and any especial things to be on the lookout for, maybe things that particularly stand out as opposed to the general checklist, or additional things you know are important.

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto...717946828.html

Thanks in advance!
I don't respect sellers that give very little detail, or inaccurate information. For mileage the seller said 133 miles. Obviously they meant 133,000 miles, but if they are too lazy to type three zeros, then I'd be too lazy to offer them more than a lowball price. They didn't list what option package the car has, so you've only got what few things they listed as features to go off of. I'd use the base option package to value the vehicle in absence of them telling you what options package it is.

Some people report oil consumption, so ask about that and see if the oil reading is low.

I've recently had a change of heart on the Prius and think they are over-valued. I just bought a reconstructed title 2013 C-Max hybrid with 44,000 miles on it for $7,000, and it had every possible option. The C-max is very roomy and peppy compared with the Prius. It uses a lithium-ion battery instead of NiMh, so will probably perform better and last longer.

If they don't mind a sedan, the Ford Fusion hybrid is spectacular.

Finally, if they park in a garage, I'd look for a plug in version of any of these cars. 30% of the miles I drive on my Prius are pure EV. Not bad considering it only has a 12 mile range on EV only.

My last bit of advice is to check other sites for vehicles. I found the C-Max on OfferUp, but I also like Autotempest.com since it searches multiple sites at once. Get the Edmunds.com used car pricing too, since it usually is much lower than KBB. It's an extra bit of leverage in negotiating a lower price.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
mpg_numbers_guy (11-05-2018), TDFbound (11-25-2018), Xist (11-06-2018)