View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Even with only 51K/52K miles? What would you suggest offering if we pursue?

Judging a good price on a Prius seems to be a lot harder for me than with other vehicles lol..
It all comes down to opportunity cost. As I said, I'm not as in love with Prius considering the good alternatives these days. They do have an excellent history of reliability, but I would expect to need to replace the 11 year old battery in the next couple years. That's probably a couple grand if you pay someone else to do it.

The ad is approaching 4 weeks old. I'd offer him $2k under his ask and let him work you back up to Edmunds price. That's me though, I don't need a car; I never do. My timeline to buy is infinite, so I can wait forever for someone to accept a low price.

As I said previously, $7k is what I bought a 2013 fully loaded C-Max with 44k miles on it. That's less than his ask, and only a grand more than Edmunds price. The C-Max is a way better car in nearly every aspect except it gets like 2 MPG less than a Prius.

I like Prii and own one and don't plan to sell it any time soon. That said, they are overpriced. Do they prefer a hatchback? If not, how about a Camry, or a Sonata? They come in hybrid form if that is a must. The Ford Fusion Hybrid is phenomenal.

My 2006 TSX probably goes for $5k these days, and it's the best car I've ever had. 30 MPG and no problems.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)