View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #97 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Interesting, But I had imagined that electric cars cost more than twice the price of gas cars of same/similar standart (power&confort).

One question I have for Maria Braga, it's about discharge capacity.
Electric cars in most cases still uses a supercapacitor form the initial trust, since most electric motor during the first seconds require more energy then the batteries could discharge, so the supercapacitor would work just in these initial moments. Am I right ?

But let's supose we get a battery 10x more energy denser, and to save a lot of money we decide to use just 10% of battery weight than a usual electric car (old batteries) would use, and so reducing the battery weight to just 10%, and keeping the resultant range as the same of the standart actual EVs.
Well, as result we would have just 10% the number of batteries. Would they have enough discharge power to the initial trust of electric motors ?

So, my doubt it's about the discharge capacity compared to the energy density evolution. If the eneregy discharge capacity don't also increased a lot, we may end needing even more supercapacitors for the initial trust, in case we decide to do not extend the range of the car in order to reduce weight and cost even more.

Anyway taxi drones (very near future I presume) will demand these proposed 10x more energy density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My priorities for improving battery technology in order of importance:

Cost
Rate of charge/discharge (quick charge means you don't need as high capacity)
Durability
Power density
Efficiency

Seriously, if batteries were half the cost they are now, EVs would be a no-brainer, at least for local driving. Make it charge quickly, and you'd only ever need a 200 mile range, because stopping for 10min to charge would be no big deal. The rest of the things are already pretty good on modern battery technology. I suppose higher power density is always nice, but isn't necessary.

Last edited by All Darc; 11-09-2018 at 06:55 PM..