View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #99 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Strange... in one article there was reference of EVs using supercapacitors for stronger imediate trust. Maybe it's just for models with very impressice aceleration, like Tesla. EVs can hace acceleration even more impressive than a powerful gas engine car, but it demands a lot of energy discharge.

Well, I will wait her response, but I understood your point.

EVs can not so economic in case they opt for high power density (power/kg) electric motors with also very high efficince (95% to 98%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
EVs don't use supercaps that I know of. They cost twice as much because you're spending $15,000 on what is essentially a fuel tank. That's exactly my point that the battery needs to become cheaper. If it wasn't for the battery cost, EVs would be much cheaper than comparable ICE vehicles.

If this new battery technology is actually a capacitor, then going to a smaller capacity shouldn't affect the rate of charge/discharge much since the mechanism is in storing static electricity rather than changing a chemical state (a question which I had, to clarify if this is chemical or static).

Cost is far and away the biggest priority for battery technology with regards to EVs.