View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #760 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Some people may not see a square or circle unless it is perfectly drawn, their minds so limited to "either is, either not".
It's a great point, I'm watching what's called the NPC meme. It's related.

But it goes deeper, I think, than people feeling cheated. I mean the biases introduced by the Cartesian coordinate system. Overlaid of course, on Mother Nature's coordinate system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergetics_(Fuller)

Quote:
Synergetics is the empirical study of systems in transformation, with an emphasis on total system behavior unpredicted by the behavior of any isolated components, including humanity's role as both participant and observer.

Since systems are identifiable at every scale from the quantum level to the cosmic, and humanity both articulates the behavior of these systems and is composed of these systems, synergetics is a very broad discipline, and embraces a broad range of scientific and philosophical studies including tetrahedral and close-packed-sphere geometries, thermodynamics, chemistry, psychology, biochemistry, economics, philosophy and theology. Despite a few mainstream endorsements such as articles by Arthur Loeb and the naming of a molecule "buckminsterfullerene", synergetics remains an iconoclastic subject ignored by most traditional curricula and academic departments.