View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #37 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
"Corrupt" is a point of view, though. What's the fundamental difference between oil companies lobbying for what they want, and environmental groups lobbying for their preferences?

Government isn't really the problem here, it's the symptom. Until you get a large part of the population to change their ideas of what they want, you're not going to get anywhere.
Did you seriously just ask; What's the difference between a for profit at any cost with no morals international corporation, and a nonprofit grass roots organization where people sacrifice their time and sometime lives for the betterment of us all and for a better future?

Let's be clear, most regulations are there to protect the public, not to stifle innovation.

Striking critical sections of the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act in 1999 with the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act lead to the 2008 Great Recession for instance.

There are course exceptions to the stifle/innovate rule as when a corporation lobbies to excludes competitors products (ie Monsanto and why we could only get one kind of mango for decades).

Most Americans do not want the air and water quality of Mexico City and China, that is a fact.

How Mexico City slashed air pollution levels by half
https://www.chinadialogue.net/articl...levels-by-half

Don't take this next link too seriously, as China is getting only worse according to CBS This Morning a couple of days ago.

https://chinapower.csis.org/air-quality/
Quote:
Chinese leaders face the difficult choice of prioritizing either economic growth or environmental and social welfare. For the past several years, Beijing has a made a concerted effort to reduce high concentrations of air pollution across China.
Regulations and laws are there to protect people, but can be misused to protect corporations, products and existing technologies.

I am not for deregulation, I an not for more regulation, I am for better regulation that does not overburden and sniffle innovation.

Take something we hear about all the time. Autonomous vehicles, they test them in and around Ann Arbor, MI so I see more of them than most. The idea that a whole car is being driven blindly but manufacturers are not allowed to rely on remote viewing rear view mirrors is absurd. That would be like legalizing machine guns and still have on the books laws outlawing Bowie knives.

Rational regulation, not political or commercially motivated regulation, that is what I am for and I think most of you are also for.

2012 Infiniti G37X Coupe
1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

You cannot sell aerodynamics in a can............