View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #80 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Looks like my 12v lead acid battery has had a very timely demise - this morning it was 15 degrees, and my car wouldn't start using the starter. Rolled it down a hill and dropped the clutch to get to work, but I need this up and going soon.

These look promising to run in parallel with the caps:

https://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion-...lead-acid.aspx

There's a 20ah pack for $130, and one with an LED balancing circuit for $190. Thoughts?
I've got 2 of those batteries, and wired in balance leads, but don't have active balancing. I can throw the battery on my balance charger if I ever need to, and I have a cheap voltage reader that I can connect to get a quick read on the individual cell voltages.

One battery has been in my Prius for 2 years, and the other I keep around for experiments or in my jetski during the summer.

It could probably crank a 4-cylinder engine by itself, and I start my 2-stroke jetski with it.

The problem is that the battery is not supposed to be charged when below freezing. I think it can be charged at extremely slow rates below freezing, but how would one regulate that?

It drops below freezing in the Portland area, but my Prius lives in a garage, and the battery compartment is in the cabin. I don't think the battery ever actually sees freezing temperatures, so I feel confident it will last a long time. That said, I'm not so sure it would hold up to underhood temperatures; especially when well below freezing.

There's usually a code for 10% off if you search online, which basically covers shipping.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!