View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
What I've read so far suggests that construction delays are extremely costly because construction loans incur interest, and with '80s inflation rates at 12%, paying now for something that won't produce for a decade results in enormous compounded interest charges that are exacerbated by delays and cost overruns.

2008 would have been the year to begin building nuke reactors. They would have been completed now, and during a period of extremely low interest rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Must have used union labor.

Steel and concrete prices have maybe quadrupleed since the 1970s.

Be anti nuclear and the power company will just build coal plants.
I'm good either way.
Quadrupled in real terms, or just through inflation? If it has increased in real terms, what was the cause of the price increase? Most things get cheaper over time.

You're absolutely correct though, the utilities have a legal responsibility to provide the cheapest energy they can to their customers, which is why nuke plants were booming in the '60s and '70s. Then something happened, which is still unclear to me, that has since caused nuke to cost 10x or more than it used to (in real terms).

Maybe I should found my own country on an island as close to the US as possible, build the biggest, most safe and cost efficient nuke plants that can be devised, run a power line to the US, and sell to the utilities. No NIMBY, no Eco terrorists, no red tape.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!