View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #3830 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I'm here to raise awareness that we have a much more pressing problem than climate change that will hurt us much worse and much sooner. Which is resource depletion. Humans are already several decades into ecological overshoot. As was predicted 45 years ago in "The Limits To Growth". The best we could hope for now is an oscilating correction if we could let logic be the guide back to a simpler way of life where most people could grow their own food. But awareness is still too faint. People that even contemplate that there is anything whatsoever wrong still hold out uneducated hope for a techno salvation. But if the scale of our consumption is put into context it is obvious that rebuildables can never replace even a small portion of the carbon energy we are current blessed with. Not to mention the diminishing ore quality of several key minerals that have been consumed and washed away.

Because of only a 5% per year reduction in energy access over 10 years the Russian economy fell to 1/2 after the break up of the Soviet Union. Corruption and inequity took over. And many people apparently killed themselves.
It takes only the slightest trend toward degrowth in our current socio-economic system to cause a big collapse.
We are headed for a future with less. We will go kicking and screaming but it would be much better to guide ourselves down intentionally.
I respect your opinion and fought for your 1st Amendment right to share it,but I would respectfully argue that you may be saving a few in the short term,only to realize orders of magnitude greater suffering if we knowingly let all our weather patterns be disrupted.
Everything on Earth evolved for a world without fossil fuel combustion.