View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #3860 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Scale. Growth.
Between 1997 and 2017, global electricity output climbed an average 571 terawatt-hours per year. Merely keeping pace with growth in electric demand would require installing 14 times as much photovoltaic capacity as Germany’s entire installed base, and it would have to do so every year.
or wind.
Thus, just to keep pace with growth in electrical demand, the world would have to install twice as much wind-energy capacity as now exists in all of China, and it would have to do so annually.
And that is just growth of electricity consumption. Not to mention replacing all electricity. And then replacing all the remainder of primary energy consumption which is another 4 times electricity.
the world’s demand for oil will hit a record 100 million barrels per day. That would be an increase of about 1.8 million barrels per day over 2017 numbers.
global solar production totaled the equivalent of about 2 million barrels of oil. Just enough to match the growth in oil consumption if we weren't already comparing solar to the growth in electrical consumption. And oil is only 40% of primary energy.
https://nypost.com/2018/11/16/the-nu...y-decade-soon/
I bookmarked this one. I've been bookmarking more of your responses lately to reference them in other forums.

Many in the green cult in my other forums don't realize the scale of the problem. BC is mandating zero emission vehicles by 2040. Cute, but in light of what our resource consumption is, will forestall global warming by what, 3 days? Cute.

The cult doesn't realize what would actually need to take place to achieve the reductions in emissions they are seeking, and that it isn't simply a matter of wealth redistribution, voting for the "correct" political party, and putting solar on your roof. It means reduced global wealth, which will have a corresponding reduction in global well-being and health. In fact, it means shorter lives, among many other criteria associated with global wealth.

People need to be aware of what it is they are advocating.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!