View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Diesels are bad polluters for nitrous oxides and particulates, which kill 20,000+ people a year in the UK, and when they're cold they're particularly nasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Once you've unsuccesfully given CPR to a 13 year old girl having a severe asthma attack who died in your hands, then you start to get a little bit conscious of unnecessary air pollution in the urban environment.
Good points. Although I imagine it is possible to get diesel emissions down just as low as gasoline emissions. But regardless, internal combustion engines are polluters.

Which is why I at first changed out my Diesel for a Nissan Leaf. We have a hydro electric dam nearby, so I figured most of the power here comes from there. Although there's no way to know for sure.

But after a while I had to drive much farther than what the Leaf can do, although I did put it through some long trips, including a 400 mile trip and a 700 mile trip.

I had the chance to buy a newer VW diesel. The emissions would be better than the 1985 VW, but of course the problem is that they don't meet the legal emissions standards. So I decided against it. And other diesels, like the Chevy Cruze, just didn't seem to be the right choice either.

So I ended up getting a 5 year old 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid instead. I almost went for a Prius Prime with it's $9,500 in tax credits here in Colorado, so the engine could be shut off for those short cold trips. But the Avalon seemed to fit us better, and was less expensive. I kind of need 5 seats and having a spare tire on long trips out in the middle of nowhere is a good idea.