View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
jjackstone
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I know I am three steps ahead. "People" are totally unaware of resource depletion and have no concept of what "they" will do (or not do) in deep time. Awareness has to spread. A good first step is for the cognoscenti to be early adopters and lead by example. If we were wise we would elect progressive policies to weight the market toward more austerity and material efficiency. ie. 500kg super aero electric cars and smaller living quarters with shared common areas and tools. We are spending (obliterating) our descendants inheritance.
I believe the problem is much deeper than this. And the most important part of the problem is that so many people just don't give a damn. It's my observation that our country has become "infected"with entitlement. I can't tell you how many times I have heard the argument that "I make enough money to afford this, why shouldn't I have it?" These people, and some of them are my friends, just do not seem to care about the future. Their attitude seems to be that the future will take care of itself and that they shouldn't have to apply themselves to helping create a better future. I believe that this attitude is caused by the capitalist system. Make more money, buy more stuff...even if you don't need it. Poor George Carlin must be rolling over in his grave. JJ
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (11-24-2018)