View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 12:30 AM   #3883 (permalink)
ModNewb
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Yes, but what about sintering?

When I lived in California I was taught that negative numbers were impossible, but my bank account proved them wrong! In happier news, my credit card was recently negative! They owed me money!

I always joke about celebrating Columbus day by putting three boats in someone else's back yard. I am not sure how much of what I was taught as a kid (in California) about Columbus was true, either.

Then there was the teacher that taught us that oxygen was Oh, because you cannot run around just saying "O!"

Tell that to J.R.R. Tolkien--or Oprah.

I was taught Algebra in ninth grade, but never how to balance a checkbook, let alone whatever the modern equivalent is, because who uses checks?!

I was taught to cook, but not how to eat healthy, although I am not sure there is a consensus on that, and theories change constantly.

I had woodshop, but that was the only time that I ever had the proper tools for a project. Thanks for spending thousands of dollars on equipment that I would never use again. How do I do that with a circular saw, a hammer, and $6.10?

I had a metalworking class. Guess who has never worked with metal. I have hammered out dents, but that was not the metalworking that I was taught.

Changing a tire is easy enough that I figured it out when I was in high school, but how many people get stranded because they do not know they can do these things?

Who teaches kids to purchase new Chryslers and trade them in the next year? Who teaches kids to study whatever they want in college and then do something else?

Mom's mechanic just charged her $50 for an oil change and $20 for a $10 air filter. He is a great guy and the day that I cannot repair a car myself I will immediately take mine to him, but how many repairs and how much maintenance can you do with a $10 set of tools?

Am I trying to put mechanics out of work?

Do people learn basic life skills?
No, most people do not learn basic life skills anywhere, not alone school!

You'll be shocked how many people can't run their own finances without running debt to make up for chronic mismanagement.