View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
I got a ScanGauge in on Friday and have been monitoring engine temps this weekend. So far I haven't seen engine temps over 186°F, even with the radiator nearly completely closed off going down the highway uphill. But around town engine temps will drop down to as cold as 125°F, and it's not even winter yet!

Right now it's 8°F outside. Getting in the Avalon right now with the engine plugged in all night I see the engine temp is 46°, almost 40° warmer than ambient temperature. I also notice that the engine cools off fast, especially where I can't plug in. I also went to the store in 35°F weather. Coming out of the store the engine was at 75°F. Saturday night, as with many days each month, I didn't have any place to plug in at all at the place I stayed.

I think trying to wrap the entire engine and transmission would be a great idea. There is no belt on this car, just a single pulley that I should be able to cover up or something. The problem is working around the exhaust. I need a material that won't catch on fire.