View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

Bean-counter mentality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
I think the bad reputation comes from the F150 owners who have 0W20 recommended by Ford. 20 weight oil starts to sound like a bad idea when your engine has been outputting 150hp for the last 10 minutes pulling 12,000lbs up a 8% grade... Worst case scenario for sure but its hard to change your oil when you're half way up...
Most of the time engineers get trumped by the bean counters so I don't always think what is recommended is always best.
Bean counters are money-oriented ! Every thing they think or do is money (profit). The bean counters are running this society right into the ground.... As a R&D engineer, I had to subject my proposals to the bean-counting management...so "they" could shoot all kind$ of hole$ in my designs. I'm so glad to be free of this madness....

There is a fact I learned years ago...about oil viscosity: The greater the "spread" on the viscosity numbers ( ie, 10W40 is "wider" than 10W30), the longer the polymer linking to make it behave in a broader fashion ... at the cost of lubricity at these ranges. In other words, 30 weight is the best oil (generally) on the planet ...disregarding cold start ... everything else- for street use- is a variation on this weight. 10W40 is more compromised than 20W40 (Pennzoil used to make a 20W40 oil ... I was a religious user of this). 20W50 is a pretty wide string. Lower lubricity? I don't go there, anymore.