View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
All or mostly AZ cars? Is heat an issue? While it's a much smaller sample size, I know a bunch of people in the Northeast with a Prius. Most have over 160k on the original battery.
Yes and Yes. Milder climates tend to add about 40-60K before failure occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broski499 View Post
Battery is going strong. The price to get these replaced has dropped a lot too. A quick check online and a new pack with installation is $1500. Same company had a 5 year warranty on the pack.
That is not a NEW pack. Thats a reconditioned pack that you should expect to have replaced 1-2 times in the warranty period.

If you're looking at the Chinese "new" kits that replace the Toyota prismatic modules with "D" cell batteries... run.

Quote:
I've never heard of a 2nd gen transmission failure. It should be just about as reliable as a manual transmission. Its just a bunch of gears and a couple motors. There aren't clutches or CVT belts to wear out or anything like that.

I know the 1st gen Prius had some transmission issues. But, its transmission fluid change interval was 30k vs the 2nd gens 100k miles. I bet that had a lot to do with it.

As a side note, my 2004 has about 160k miles on it and still runs just fine. I have to add a bit of oil between my 10k mile oil changes, but not bad at all.
You should check PriusChat. Handful of documented issues there. In 2.5 years, I have personally encountered FOUR. I work with a garage that has done about 18 of them in the last few years. These were all P0AA6 failures where the motor winding insulation broke down and created a high voltage path to chassis ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-28-2018)