View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
While I figure out the oil warmer mounting situation, I would also like to look at the coolant plumbing. The coolant system in the Mirage is pretty simple. There are two lines coming off the head. One goes to the throttle body to warm it up, and the other goes to the heater core to provide heat to the cabin. I can tee into either of these to run in parallel, or run the oil warmer in series with either of these items.

I'm not quite sure what I would like to do yet, but I am thinking that running it in series with the throttle body would be a good idea. It can go inline before the throttle and be fine. The throttle body uses much smaller hose than the heater core, but I really don't think that the oil warmer needs THAT much flow. Its sized for 5/8" heater hose which seems a bit overkill. If you look at the Honda oil warmer / cooler, it has a much smaller coolant hose size going to it. The other perk with using the throttle body hose is the proximity to the oil heater. They're literally right next to each other, so the hose runs would be short.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant diagram.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	25152   Click image for larger version

Name:	3a92_04.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	25153  
California98Civic (12-02-2018)