View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #47 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I think acting like the consumer doesn't want the cars is wrong, it's 100% the government not allowing them. Technically they may be "allowed" but by having to check every government mandated box it makes then a certain size, weight, power, etc, and mainly cost at least $15,000 if not $20,000 to be profitable all by itself. So then what are you going to buy as a consumer, a normal old reliable and safe Honda Civic, or some strange 1 or 2 seater that probably would only save you $50-100 a year in gas. Then nobody does buy the 1/2 government, 1/2 forward thinking frankenstein, and the price ends up even higher, if not much higher than what's on the shelf currently.
and in defense of the one person in a 5 or even 8 passenger vehicle. I would love to have the perfect vehicle for every situation I drive but normal people can struggle to afford one car if not 2, I would need 10 cars to cover every base. Or I can buy that 8 passenger 6L 4x4 that tows 10,000 pounds to cover all the bases except economy and performance and then limit the driving. The added fuel cost in my case is less than insurance and license fees on a 2nd or 3rd car would be.
Whos wasting more resources, the guy driving a Prius 100 miles a day, or me driving a 2500 Suburban 7? If I needed to drive 100 miles a day then it would probably make financial sense to get a 50 mpg car. But seeing as how I don't I'll be that guy next to you alone in a Suburban.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (11-29-2018)