View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #54 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Because they were at least 15 if not 20k more than a similar normal car. Even with $5 gas that buys a lot of mile. The Prius is also about 10k more than a normal car that size but proved to be very reliable and pretty normal.
Sales of vehicles are very much affected by the ability of a person to drive one at the lot and by advertising.

In the last 10 years vehicle advertisements are 10:1 (1 being for cars) by the big three.

The real price of the Volt brand new was $17-30k depending on area and discounts which is no different than any other normal car.

At the end of the day the Volt has a very strong smear campaign during its run
4 total TV advertisements along the coastal regions and a very strong anti Chevy view to overcome.

I can think of no other car that had as much angst and anger directed towards it from both environmentalists and reactionaries
My own extremely liberal relatives lambasted me for buying an extremely expensive $17,000 brand new Volt when I could have just gotten a reliable minivan or Spark that wouldn’t have a bad battery in 50000 miles
I had to prove to every person that free charging but good reliability made it good for me, I have never had this experience with a Suburban an Insight or even Prius so I am uncertain that price had anything to do with it.

More like ideology killed it