View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 01:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Angel And The Wolf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It's intriguing but I think the dynamics of a powered trailer are difficult, especially here where the roads are snowy and icy for the next four months. And it seems nice to try to have one vehicle do it all but let's face it, almost everybody who isn't an urban apartment dweller has multiple vehicles anyway, so the easy way (?) is to have a local ev and a long distance ICE.
Thank you for the lengthy reply. Yes the dynamics would be difficult. We have a two car garage, but can only afford one car.

Quote:
I agree that generator systems' built-in inefficiencies make them unattractive. Put that ICE power straight to the road.
Absolutely! ICE to Electric loses efficiency, and I don't really want to buy a diesel generator of the capacity to keep my Prius Traction battery charged while driving.

Quote:
I'd like to be able to add ICE power to the wheel(s) of an ev via removeable unit, not necessarily a trailer. How to best do that is a good question. P.S. But then have to lug all that heavy, presumably useless ev equipment with on the road trips? Bleah. Completely swap out ev/ice? Doable, but more effort than it's worth? Leave the ev stuff but remove the heavy and space-consuming battery pack to insert the ICE? Hmmmm
You know, maybe the Prius with a 300 mile capacity battery on a trailer........