View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Man has always built cities. Get a clue.
Man has always built cities because until recently he hasn't had fast transportation & communication. But as soon as those started to become available, those who could afford to do so started to move out of the cities. This even pre-dates the automobile: look at the growth of commuter railroads in the late 19th & early 20th centuries. Even before that, many of the wealthy had their country estates, and only came to Town for the "Season".

With electronic communication, nowadays there's really no reason to spend time in cities once you attain a moderate amount of money and/or professional reputation. If you personally like city life, feel free to stay there. But many of us do regard it as a foretaste of Hell, so don't expect us to join you voluntarily.

Quote:
Alone in the sticks is where misery lays.
It's strange, but I've never been more alone than the times I've had to live in cities. Yes, there were people around, but I didn't know them, and they didn't know me. In the country, I might not have that many neighbors, but we know & help each other.

Last edited by jamesqf; 12-10-2018 at 01:34 PM..