View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
spil
EcoModding Lurker

I wish it was a TDI - '00 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)

cb500f - '14 Honda CB500F
90 day: 68.79 mpg (US)
Turtle Hello from Texas

I've been lurking here for a while, and have been using a lot of the techniques here, but still have a lot of questions. I drive a 2000 Jetta with a 2L engine and manual transmission. I re-inflated my tires a few weeks ago to maximum tire pressure on the sidewall, and I'm wondering how often I should check/top off my tires. I coast down hills (in neutral, engine on), accelerate slowly, turn off the engine at long stoplights (15 seconds or more), never use the a/c or roll down the windows, and EOC down a little hill about a quarter mile from my house (very deserted, if I see another car approaching, I will leave the engine on).

I have a few questions on (hopefully) pretty basic stuff. My main question is if I am stopped at a red light with my engine off and my lights (either daytime or full lights) and radio turned on, do I have to worry about my battery dying, or does the small fraction of time my engine is off not make a big enough impact on the battery to not give it enough power to start? Also, do I have to worry about my starter not working because I turn it on and off so much (or at least a lot more than I used to)?

I'm thinking about getting a scanguage, but was wondering how much of a difference it would make in FE? If I was paying for my gas, I would definitely get one, but my parents pay for gas most of the time, so I have less incentive to buy one (at least for monetary reasons). I might just buy one and use it for a few weeks/months to find out the most effecient RPM's to shift at and then sell it. I think I read here that Scanguages sell on ebay for almost retail price?

Thanks for your input