View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Have they changed the EPA test again? Sometimes that is a reason a rating my be lower while real world may be better. Hard to say. I also don't see where you got that quote from, the link is just a picture and nowhere do I see what the 2020 Silverado HD is looking to get EPA. I don't think it even will get the V6 or the turbo 4, that's the 1500 trucks.

I see now, the picture is of a 2020 HD but you are talking about the new 2019 1500s. The new motors and transmissions actually do get better EPA ratings, but the old carryover motors get a bit worse. I might actually chalk that up to GM marketing to get you to spring for one of the more expensive options when side by side on the lot. Also there have been some reports the new 4 cylinder turbo is beating EPA estimates like a diesel does if driven short of "bat out of hell" required in the EPA test. Basically they set an acceleration rate not based on a flat number that all cars (or trucks) accelerate at, but a number based on throttle position. So a low power vehicle gets to do the 0-60 in say 15-20 secs while something with some balls has to do it in 8 secs just because it can. Same penalty applied to manual transmissions, they have to shift at the wrong points where an automatic or CVT gets do do it's own thing.

That and the truck is bigger but lighter so highway suffers, city improves.

Last edited by Hersbird; 12-11-2018 at 07:07 PM..