View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
robbie
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie
The least fuel-efficient car EVER posted here...

Hello,
I'm going to start this with my dilemma. I'm driving a 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 5.0L V8, 150hp. It's got about 125,000 miles. Now, it'll get 26-27mpg on the highway. Not bad! HOWEVER....around town, where I mostly drive it, I have some major problems. 17mpg is normal, and 15 is definitely not unheard of.

I've read that on some cars, the intake is so restrictive that the car burns more fuel than is necessary. I have also read about Mustangs with the same basic engine components but upgraded to 250 or so horsepower getting 30mpg. Would a less restrictive intake do anything for me? Or should I just try it and see?

I'd get a more fuel-efficient car, but I'm 17 and can't afford one at the moment...and besides, I like the Merc and it's in great condition. I'm including a few pictures of it.

Now, being that I drive 15 miles each way to work via a construction zone, dumping the spare tire is probably out of the question, even in search of mileage. Any ideas (non-body-related...aero is not much of a problem, at least less than you may think) will be welcomed with open arms!