View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
stefanv
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Saturn - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.68 mpg (US)
Thanks for the great contest! You got me posting again (something I'd been meaning to do for a while anyway). I'm still eco'ing, although my fuel economy got a bit worse recently when I switched my 3 year old summer tires to brand new snow tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
A decade from now, what do you think will be your biggest automotive change?
That is really hard to say. I'd love to get an EV, but unless it has 400+km range, I'd still need an ICE or hybrid car too. I live far enough away from things that charging stations are too distant, so unless they become more common, long-EV-range plug-in hybrid would be my best bet.

I also hate spending money on cars. The last time I bought a car was in 2009, and that cost me all of $5K. Since I really like Saturns, and they stopped making them in 2002, it's unlikely I'll find another pristine low-mileage one 17 years after the last one rolled off the line.

But it's really hard to know where things are going. I don't see EV displacing ICE any time soon, but unless it does (and a lot of other things change too), we're all doomed anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

The other issue is that I really like to tinker with stuff. Older cars were more "open", in that you could see what everything did, and you could tweak and modify things. The newer the car, the more "closed" it is (even my 18 year old Saturn has a software issue that's interfering with my use of a kill switch). I doubt there's much that could be tinkered with on a 2018 Bolt or Tesla.