View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
ldjessee00
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
The reason to keep the 'nose' for a truck is the same reason to keep it for a car... crash energy absorption.

Why do Tesla cars do so well in the crash testing? because they use that space to help reduce the forces felt by the occupants. With a forward control style cab, could they design it to absorb as much? I am no expert, but I would think more space = more time, and more time means the occupant would be better served in a crash.

Now, if you are talking an in city, non-highway delivery truck or something, where the maximum expected speed is below 45 MPH, then I could see making that trade off.

I definitely see the boxier design as a farm truck (as that is what it is really designed for) and the Rivian truck being more the main stream (and not commercial or trades) market.

I would not turn down either if you were going to give me one, but either it has to tow a trailer with my motorcycle or the bed has to be big enough for my motorcycle... and both do that, but in a market that overvalues pickup truck form, not sure a new one will be within my price range.

Same reason I own a Subaru Outback vs a Jeep or pickup right now. It cost less, does what I need, and gets better mileage than any other vehicle I was looking at.