View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #85 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Saving money and gas turbines don't belong in the same context.
I have watched hours of yourube vids about the nissan leaf, it's charging systems, the battery, range extender batteries and I think a range extender generator may be wired in like a range extender pack. Bit no one has done it yet.
Yes, people have wired generators to the bus coming out of the traction battery on a Nissan Leaf and have fed electricity there while driving the Leaf. So it can work. The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered - Page 9 - My Nissan Leaf Forum

The main thing is to not overcharge the traction battery.

To the OP. I've considered putting the front end of a 1985 VW Golf (Rabbit) diesel as a pusher trailer behind a Leaf (I actually owned both cars at the same time with a heavy desire to do it.) I gave up on the idea when I ended up driving a whole lot more than what it was worth. To me, if you are going to do a pusher trailer it's likely because you aren't planning to use the car for long trips very often. Maybe just once in a while. But at that rate you'd probably be just as far ahead if you rented a car or took public transportation of some sort for those once in a while trips, or took your time to plan out the trip in the EV.

I've done all of those. When I had the Leaf I did a 700 mile trip and a 400 mile trip in it, as well as several trips that were under 150 to 200 miles. There were places where I could only charge from a 120V outlet. But with careful planning, I made it work. Of course then came winter which shortened the range way too much and I ended up needing a tow once which ended that experiment.

So I also started renting from time to time. I would get the cheapest $20 a day deal and go for it. I made sure my credit card would pay for any damage or loss so I wouldn't have to buy the rentals "wavier" insurance.

I've also taken Greyhound and other buses on long trips. Not the most convenient, but it works. The bus makes since in that with food, wear and tear on the car and hotels it can come out cheaper in some circumstances. Also there is less time lost since I can actually do things that are more productive as a passenger than while driving. (Like typing here on EcoModder.com)

But with me having to drive more and more, I ended up just getting a Toyota hybrid and sold the Leaf. I wanted to make that pusher trailer so badly, but adding a 1985 diesel to a Leaf so I could drive it 300 miles more a week didn't seem like the best idea.

Man! I do miss the Leaf though! No oil changes, instant heat, and the ability to "fuel" at home!

One sad side note. When I dropped the second car and went to only one my insurance actually went up. Apparently it was less to insure a second car than what I got back in the multi-car discount. Now I'm paying $70 more per year! It kind of makes me want to go get the cheapest EV I can find, even if it has a 30 mile range left on it, and just drive that around town and use the ICE for my long commute.