Thread: Winter biking?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Winter biking?

I don't bike much in the winter. But I'd like to get into it. I just don't know what will help push me into getting it to work for me. Right now I'm having problems with traction mostly. The cold is also a problem.

I have a 27" road bike which is terrible in the snow. I'm divided between getting a mountain bike, a fat tire bike or a trike. Mountain bikes can be picked up for cheap (I'm pretty cheap). But I don't know if that will be enough traction. A lot of winter bicyclers here get those fat tire bikes so they don't sink so bad into the snow. On the other hand a trike may be more stable?? I've slid under cars on several occasions, although I've never actually gotten hurt. I suppose that's what really makes me not want to ride in the winter. Do they make winter tires for bicycles? Tire chains?

Also, how do you wear a helmet and a hat at the same time safely? Also I seem to get too hot sometimes and sweat and then I'm freezing cold. I'm not sure what the best strategy would be. Any suggestions?