View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #4114 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
EVs and range

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm thinking of all batteries. We need breakthroughs in cost, because it isn't economically justifiable right now to store renewable energy in batteries. We just fire up the existing power plants and crank out the shortfall in electricity.

EVs have essentially a $10,000 fuel tank, which is smaller "capacity" than regular $100 fuel tanks, which takes hours to fill, which degrade over time, which require thermal management, which weigh a lot...

Huge hurdles to overcome. We'll get there eventually.
This may be of interest.
I've been transcribing long-term road test data from CAR and DRIVER,ROAD & TRACK,AUTOMOBILE,MOTOR TREND,etc.,and have discovered that some presently sold EVs already have greater 'CITY' range than many ICE automobiles,selling at a greater price.
Presently, there are also ICE automobiles which possess less 'HWY' range than some EVs currently on the market.
When the gen-II TESLA Roadster debuts,there will be even more ICE automobiles with less HWY range,selling at much higher prices,whose fuel will be more expensive for the same distance.
There appears to be an inflexion point looming in the near future (2025 has mentioned),at which time,ICE automobiles will no longer be able to economically compete,either in price,or performance with EVs.
I had no idea until I started doing the numbers.