View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #4115 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
nukes,grid-scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Nuclear.
If it can be done yes.
Right now there is just barely enough batteries available for building 1 or 2% of all vehicles sold to be electric.
Maybe the glass matrix electrolyte battery will pan out and we can just use actual lithium metal in a secondary cell with out it accidentally turning into a firebomb. Use sodium metal batteries for grid storage.
Right now making grid batteries would only drive up the price and availability of materials for traction batteries.
I can't speak for my neighbors,but I'd put up with nuclear in my own backyard,even if it were just a bridge,while we worked out some balance in total load.
I worked on the Palo Verde reactors,west of Phoenix.Al Lipske,our company president, worked out some passive,thermal,convection-driven magic in the containment vessels to help with reactor safety.I don't believe there's ever been an incident associated with the three reactors out there.
Spent fuel rods are an issue I know.And they'll need to be baby sat,and processed,but I've seen so much innovation in my life,that for the long-term health of the planet,I'd be willing to take the gamble for the transition.
The Chinese,I think,are leading the planet,in grid-scale power storage technology (and many other technologies).They may isolate a best-fit battery strategy unlike what we'll use in cars.Size and mass wouldn't be an issue.