View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #4127 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
some presently sold EVs already have greater 'CITY' range than many ICE automobiles,selling at a greater price.
Presently, there are also ICE automobiles which possess less 'HWY' range than some EVs currently on the market.
When the gen-II TESLA Roadster debuts,there will be even more ICE automobiles with less HWY range,selling at much higher prices,whose fuel will be more expensive for the same distance.
There appears to be an inflexion point looming in the near future (2025 has mentioned),at which time,ICE automobiles will no longer be able to economically compete,either in price,or performance with EVs.
I had no idea until I started doing the numbers.
That isn't generally true though, that EVs match the range of ICE counterparts. I've never driven a car that got less than 400 miles to a tank. The CX-5 is probably the shortest range car I've driven and it goes over 400 miles just barely.

All that is besides the point, as once an EV or any vehicle is capable of 200 miles of range, people want to take a break anyhow after 3 hours of driving. The problem isn't starting range, but the slowness in adding range on a longer trip. The Chevy Bolt can go 240 miles, but takes an hour charging to add 150 miles of range. It's like a gas pump starting off with a small stream to begin with, and as the tank approaches half full, slows to a tiny trickle, finally ending with dripping fuel into the tank.

Tesla's are faster, but we really need 200 kW charging before it becomes acceptable to the mainstream. That's about twice as fast as a Tesla, and 4x as fast as a Bolt.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-15-2018)