View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt36415 View Post
Is there a reason not to slow down to 60? Surely that would be the simplest and by far most effective way to reduce fuel use.

Out of interest, what are the speed limits there? In Aus the highest is 110kmh or about 67mph except some roads in the Northern Territory where pretty much no one lives.
The stupidity of today’s drivers cannot be overstated. Safety, vehicle longevity & reliability are out the window. FE doesn’t matter either.

Following too closely is the worst (attended by the belief it’s is legal to travel in the passing lane; it isn’t) as under 300’ space isn’t cause for concern (it should be) and at 50’ many will travel for miles. Hell, days.

NEVER EVER allow one’s self to be surrounded by other vehicles is the key. Ever heard the phrase, “can’t fix stupid”? That’s the guy inside any crowd. For any length of time.

When the morons are trying to form up, cancel cruise and drift down about 10-mph. It’s NEVER safe to have others around. It’s reason to hit the brakes.

Firearms and drunk teenagers. That’s the EXACT risk analogy for trying to run at the upper limit. As nothing else in life has such life-changing consequences. An obese, alcoholic, chain-smoking desk dweeb will outlive the fools with firearms and bad driving.

Remember that at your funeral someone will tell the obese, alcoholic, chain-smoking desk dweeb that we are glad he’s not as stupid as was the guy we are burying.

Traffic volume determines top travel speed. Which is almost never the actual limit.

That covers risk reduction. Spacing determines set speed, and is dependent on traffic volume. Always more than 300’. At 700’, relax.

Fuel economy is in steady-state cruise. Engage cruise control on the entrance ramp. Cancel it to drop off in speed when the fools gather around one (10-mph). Re-engage on a downslope where convenient. It’s always turned on and in use until the end (except the few times when cancellation is best).

With no acceleration or braking events, and maybe passing two-three vehicles on a 600-mile or 12-hr day (the maximum daily distance) the choice of travel speed will be likely be near 65-mph or a little lower.

The needed information is in average mph. The actual time of the trip. From engine start to car parked at day’s end. Total miles divided by time. It won’t be anywhere near travel set speed.

Thus the real trick to high average mph is

1). Location, number and length of stops.

2). Time of departure.

Let’s do last first. Nationwide, traffic is lowest from 2300 to 1100. So start early. I start at around 0300. A good day for me in the Peterbilt is to have 500-miles done before noon. That happens only if everything goes well.

Planned stops. Always do this the night before. Zero unplanned stops. It’s every two hours or roughly 100-miles. A quick exit to the restroom is fine if some walking is involved.

Every four hours is a one hour break. Let this coincide with the fuel stop and/or meals.

The successful day is in knocking out those two-hour or 100-mile legs. What comes before or after is irrelevant. Skill in vehicle-handling is dependent on alertness. Fine motor skills. Without breaks as above (scientific study) those skills fall away. (Which is also accident avoidance).

Make the plan. Use Exit numbers. Stop point in the same direction of travel. No crossing major metro areas late in day. Etc.

These breaks aren’t optional. They’re built-in to the successful plan.

Again, average mph: the higher the travel set speed, the greater will be the divergence between travel set speed and average speed. And the worse the economy. (It’s not all aero problems; it’s in compounding them).

And that steering wheel corrections per 100-miles traveled is a valid FE marker, obviously lane-changing works against one. The more so in having to brake or accelerate to maintain constant speed.

I get drivers all the time on the CB complaining about slow trucks in their way. It shuts them up EVERY TIME when they’re reminded their trip plan failed. Didn’t leave early enough, either. You drive big trucks for a living and this becomes apparent right away. Every vehicle out there is constrained by safety (except in the pea brains of today’s car drivers; it was never this way until under twenty years ago).

A 4,000-mile trip is barely over a week for me. I average above 10,000-miles per month. Hit 120k for the calendar year last week. Habits and preparation are everything. Ronnie Reagan was in the White House last time I had a traffic ticket.

The miles around one’s metro area don’t count towards anything. It’s all familiar. False bravado ensues on cross-country trips. There are differences from every geographical locale and state.

What’s the real difference between running 62 or 72? The latter seems enjoyable because 90% of Americans report it as fully engaging. Any faster and the peripheral cone of vision narrows too far.

In other words, it’s work.

At 62 one arrives relaxed. There’s been no fight. One’s peripheral vision includes the scenery. It’s what vacationing is about. At either speed it’s still the rhythm of from one set point to another.

What’s the time difference? Maybe the spread from 55 to 63-mph ON AVERAGE.

In other words, not worth the trouble to stay with the racing morons all day. I sincerely assure you that’s what they are. ******* children who never had parents. No baby daddy cared enough. I’m happy to tell father & son this, to their faces. Neither is father OR son.

The relation of guns to cars is that it only takes ONCE.

Talk of skill is a laughing matter. And irrelevant.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (12-26-2018), Mustang Dave (01-07-2019), razordave (12-28-2018)