View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
After much internal debate on the best way to add boat tail to the Suburban, I have finally made a firm decision on how to proceed. It is basically a variation on the last few ideas I posted, which is a small rear roof chop, a short section of fixed boat tail, and an extending folding section of boat tail. The stock doors will stay, and the boat tail will be affixed to them except for a small transition piece. Obviously there are some complexities with how the items are shaped so that they don’t bind upon opening the doors.

The rear tail lights will be relocated to the bumper, with a second redundant set on the edges of the tail when deployed. Also the third brake light will be relocated, and a rear camera will be added for visibility. When retracted, nothing should stick out past the rear bumper. I plan to build the add on devices out of sheet aluminum covering an aluminum tube frame. The suburban roof chop will use factory style steel. Electric actuators will control the device so that I can be deployed and retracted on the go.

While this is obviously a huge undertaking, I plan to attack it in three parts, so first will be the roof chop, second will be the fixed tail, and third will be the extending tail. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and comments on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View Chop Tail Fold.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	25243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended View Chop Tail Fold.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	25244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Folded View Chop Tail Fold.jpg
Views:	90