View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #42 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And how often do you need to change them? Oil change is 7500 miles on the Insight,
It's 10,000 miles on my Avalon. Oh but wait! If I live where it's 1) cold, 2) mountainous or 3) drive short distances I'm supposed to change it every 5,000 miles. So let's see. It's dipping down to -10°F already (cold, check) and I have to climb and descend several tens of thousands of feet each week (mountainous, check) and I do several janitorial jobs at night where I stop a few hours and then start up and go to the next job (short distances, check). I also drive some 30,000 miles a year. So whereas others are changing their oil only once a year, I'm doing it 6 times a year. Of course that's not really all that bad if you compare that to the 1972 Beetle I drove that stipulated oil changes every 750 miles for my kind of driving. On the other hand I didn't look at the Leaf's brakes and such but once a year.

The point is that for some people they may be able to get by with maintenance once or twice a year in an ICE car. But for others that may not be the case.