View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #75 (permalink)
Cash68
Industrial Designer

Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 52.94 mpg (US)
Saw this in my email from ecomodder. Welcome to the insight club.

Instead of ****ing with the engine, which is already the most efficient car on the planet (excluding that low production BS that VW produced), I would just optimize it.

Do this for best MPG:

- Iridium plugs (I don't believe indexed plugs make a measurable difference)
- New air filter
- Clean EGR plate (I reused my gaskets, they are aluminum just clean them without scratching and you'll be fine)
- Oil change with 0w20
- Belly pan, I made one with scrap coroplast that lasted 2 years, recently upgraded to scotts, definite 2mpg improvement over not having one
- LRR tires or narrow tires. I'm running VX wheels and narrow 155s to reduce front area

Optional:

- In the summer, you can remove your wipers and just rain-x the windshield for another couple mpg.

- Remove side mirrors, install cameras/screens or convex mirrors inside the car

I would not do any of the arduino stuff or WAI mods, I would just keep it stock, keep it clean, and do tasteful mods taht make it more enjoyable. The money savings from 60mpg to 70mpg is literally spare change, so it isn't worth it. But insights? They are starting to become collectible.

Focus on things that make the car more enjoyable.

I have upgraded the door speakers, installed a sub, installed under dash lighting (amber to match the gauges), HID for better illumination, etc.

The car is already great, stock. Just make it a nicer place to spend time and focus on your driving.